Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What's in a name?

I think history is a very interesting subject! Because to me it shows how people come and go and how people rise and finally fall and yet we don't spend a lot of time contemplating on their lives, no matter how good or bad they were... I don't care too much about the so and so's in this world! Chances are that so and so is a small speck on this earth or there is always a better person around to put the so and so in the second spot until one day when they are lost in the vast list of names!

I seriously cannot understand people who want to put their names up there and leave a mark in this world... Now unless it is something that is rather beneficial, out of which generations to come benefit like an Abe Lincoln, Mandela or Martin Luther king, I think the mark people wanna leave is pointless! Why would anyone spend more than a minute about where you come from or who you are?

I learnt this way of life from my parents! Yes! My parents... So just to exemplify how heritage works I will exemplify this charting out giving my family's backgrounds. My mum comes from a Hindu Brahman family. Both her parents were from a family of landlords and they have seen enough prosperity to buy a car or have a stable full of horses and sit on diamonds back in the late 1800's. My gran-dad's family owned a huge share of lands in villages like piriyapattana and kanapura ( Small villages in and around Mysore city, piriyapattana they say was almost theirs!). He got entangled in a family feud and moved to Mysore fearing for his family's life, as he was quite a peaceful man. He bought a whole lane at devirammanni agrahara for 3000 rupees from a couple of families that were poor and settled there.

He had a shendi business, read it as local liquor manufacturing unit and a license to import foreign liquor to India back in the 1900's. So one can imagine how rich they were... My grand mom would tell us that the money was kept in rug sacks at home! And they feared their security at times! To me that sounds frivolous. But as life has its way with things and people, the Zamindar's act came into place, not only did they loose their land but also suffered immense losses in business, betrayed and   cheated by people in the process... Overnight my mom and her siblings were penniless and had to do a distress sale to keep themselves going! Here is my mother's lesson: You can have money or come from inheritance but if you do not know how to manage it or make more out of it then you just about screwed it up!

I couldn't disagree with that! She has built three houses on her own and has certificates of exemplary performance issued by the Department of State, USA which I and a lot of people around me cannot get! It was harsh the way she grew up. But under immense poverty her only solace was that she will work and earn her living! I am proud of her as a great human being and yes she does tend to counsel people, motivate herself to keep herself socially engaged and also tends to help the poor. I have seen her treat our domestic helps with utmost respect and equality and I have also seen her taking care of their medical needs and taking keen interest in actualizing their children's educational goals.

We do not have a great equation, we have our grouses with how an ideal child/parent should be but I do acknowledge that she is great in other areas of her life....

My father on the other hand is a converted Christian! And he is an atheist, something I do not agree with but we are tolerate each other's ideologies and beliefs. I do not care a damn about any religion and it is my firm belief even today that it is good or bad people and not some great religion or the other that I care about! I have been chided about my roots or about my father's conversion a lot many times! But for me I think it's who you are that really matters not where you come from! I find that utterly stupid, something this humanity has to outgrow! I was raised a Hindu by my Uncle and Aunt, on records I am a Hindu! Rightfully yes but not arrogantly! So back to the topic, he hailed from a family of Chetty's (jewelers that come from the southern part of India called Andhra Pradesh) and my great granddad was a diamond merchant who sourced diamonds for the Nizam of Hyderabad.

Same story! they suffered losses and never could recover from the same. Add to that my great grand mom was left a widow at a very young age and with children to feed and no source of income, she did what most people do to protect their children at times - Convert to Christianity. Frankly speaking I think that might have been her chance to breathe free in a crazy society that was not only backward but harsh towards widows back then. She took to the books, her children studied in various convents and came up the hard way. Grand dad initially started working as a male nurse and then went on to become a pediatrician. Grand mom was also bright as she was involved in research work on diabetes, again she also hailed from an extremely poverty stricken family! I have to give the church its due credit for having helped my family survive than get wiped out! It is out of respect for that one act of kindness that I will never make the stupid mistake of talking low about any religion or praying in any of the religious places regardless of which religion I belong to on paper!

My dad did inherit his parents' IQ and turned out to be a lot more smarter than the average kids around him... He has a gold medal for his Msc. Botany, has two PG degrees, all on scholarships and has the arrogance that I once came loaded with. In his arrogance he walked out of his KAS interview when he was asked what caste he belonged to, or whether it was walking out on that post at IISC Bangalore telling his professor that this world is a very big place! Nevertheless he achieved whatever he wanted to, from marrying the first love of his life or taking that business trip abroad when he thought to himself during a coaching session that "I will also go to the UK" while his foreign return professor made an impression on him!

I have met Khan sir! So it doesn't surprise me when my father says you can do anything you want to with your life! This is my dad's lesson! You can do anything you want to in your life! It's never too late, it doesn't matter where you are right now and it doesn't matter where you come from!.... Why am I sharing my heritage with you? Because it is a very shiny one but I do not have anything to the list of my accomplishments so far! I might have all this great background but I have no achievements to my credit!

I learnt this lesson back in 2007! When campus recruitment happened! That's when you realize that it doesn't matter where you come from or what you have! It matters what you have to offer and how talented you are! It matters how perseverant you are! Nobody cares about a name! Nobody will give you an earning because of your name and I am sorry nobody will stick to you if you have a name but do not have anything to offer on the table!

Why am I writing this post? It's because often times I have seen people looking totally stupid trying to use their heritage to their rescue! Be it people on a day to day basis or our parties like congress! If only this world ran on heritage than whats on the plate, I think this world would have looked poor and haggard!

At times it is better to be humble, loose the name and develop yourselves better that you live up to the heritage you carry than use the same to your rescue. And finally in support of Mr. Kejriwal, the common man that he is or the humble man that he is after a Magsaysay award/ IRS/IIT or whether it be his recent speech as a CM, I think a name can only carry you so far....Unlike the great party leaders like Mr. Rahul Gandhi or Mr. (ever so silent Cambridge return) Dr. Manmohan Singh who have only heritage and nothing to offer our public! Let us bury our names and look for the right people shall we?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice and very wonderful information
thanks again for the information.
karnataka state politics
Rizwan Arshad Nominated for Bangalore Central