Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What matters the most? Language or how you communicate?

We Indians are funny, because we do not give value to people who are fluent in our regional languages but we care a lot as to how someone speaks in English, their grammar or their pronunciation. I have a big problem with that mindset! How is it that people from other countries who speak rotten English are not judged on the same parameters? Or is it our inferiority complex that actually arose out of being ruled by the Englishmen just like the obsession with fair skin?

I think its the latter, because clearly China doesn't have people who talk good English, nor does Japan and neither do the vast majority of the European countries barring UK that is. But they are doing well in the global markets, their economies aren't doomed as yet because of the language barrier and their people do manage pretty well while travelling to other countries. I find it ridiculous to laugh at or correct people when they speak in English. Who am I to fix them? Oxford's granddaughter? or Webster's relative? You see languages were meant to communicate, to convey and to exchange thoughts. If that purpose is solved then it shouldn't matter much. Of course fluency matters, but not to an extent where you die out of an inferiority complex. I am sure that my English has so many flaws that any normal reader would be able to pull out the flaws. But what matters is to stir up the right emotions, to reach out and connect, to convey your thoughts and convey it with conviction. How does it matter if I forgot to type in a comma?

I am not saying don't learn the rules of the language, what I am saying is it's better not to ridicule someone for their language. I have watched movies, Korean ones, especially this one called "My little bride". It's so humorous, touching and cute! But you know what? I don't know Korean! I do not understand a single word of it!! I just looked at the facial expressions of the actors and could relate to the emotions. I am sure the dialogues would have differed, but for those two hours I was hooked on to my screen!!

The funniest thing that I have witnessed in my life is to watch my grand mom, who knows how to speak only in Kannada converse with an elderly punjabi lady. I knew both the languages and seeing them struggle and trying to guess what the other person was trying to say was a hilarious sight in itself! Eventually they both taught each other a couple of words from their language. My grand mom had this habit of writing all the new hindi words she learnt (in kannada) on the wall using a pencil. And my father would laugh at the way some of the translation was written. We all laughed at that and made fun of her. But that taught me in a very big lesson in a simple manner, that you can learn to converse with people, as long as you convey and connect it is OK. Language should not be a barrier and that its the minds and hearts that should connect!

To me, if someone says my English is bad, I would gladly accept the feedback, try to improvise on it but wouldn't feel a wee bit inferior because of it. I was fluent in English back in the school days, but that came naturally as I read a lot of books, and I would feel my words. It doesn't anymore because I don't read as many books I should have been reading. Nevertheless, I still feel my words, anyone who reads my blog can feel the intensity of my emotions, the gamut of emotions I feel and try to convey. How does it matter if it isn't polished or sophisticated enough?

I have this liking for Mr. Kejriwal. He chooses to speak in Hindi than speaking in English as he is able to express his feelings better in Hindi. Not forgetting the fact that he would have to have a very fluent English which is expected of the bureaucrats who clear the civil services exam, else he wouldn't have made it to the IRS as it's pure intellect that gets you there. But I like him for his humbleness and simplicity and the way he chooses Hindi which is so natural to him over English that he can impress you with and chooses not to do it as he knows that it's the connect that matters. Let us start thinking like that for a change, where the language you speak (not the foul one ;)) is not an indicator of your wisdom, status or capabilities. It's just a means to connect and convey, that's what it was invented for and that's what should be expected out of anyone who is trying to grasp it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, read your blog, few comments

1>. Felt like heading not aligned with the content, because when you say the "how one communicates" then first thing came in my mind was "Tone" at which communication is done....this is my thought and understanding level, ignore it if you find it unnecessary :)

2>. I don't know what's reason to promote English as an language, but the current scenario is it has established a generic position and i feel it can be called as Language for all. And why i have this feeling because i'm north Indian, staying in south India from last five years, and can proudly say that have not faced much difficulty.

Have few more points, may be some other time :)

SSDruid said...

You forgot to read the first word then! Language or how one communicates! Either it is brilliant Hindi and rotten communication/tone or how you communicate in Hindi.. so what's amiss?